I recently tried to move money between two accounts held with the same business bank. I did everything as I usually would, using the relevant mobile banking app. But after confirming the transfer, instead of a success message, I got this:
Yes, that’s my bank returning an exception and Oracle database error straight to my phone. (And not any exception, but a MicroserviceException.)
If you’re particularly observant, you may have worked out that the bank in question is TSB – the same TSB that was in the news in 2018 following a botched migration between banking platforms.
This isn’t the first time I’ve had this error; it’s happened a handful of times over the last year and a half. Each time I’m left wondering if the transfer did or did not happen (or worse: whether I still had the money at all).
Another amusing fact is that if you search Google for
com.bs.proteo, it returns a handful of questions and posts (and even bits of code) from people who presumably have worked on the code base.
Alas, I’m otherwise happy with the bank, so I haven’t been in any rush to move my company to a different bank (although, I may well have another look round having posted this).